Loosely, "even more so" or "with even stronger reason". Often used to lead from a less certain proposition to a more evident corollary. It is unwise to invest in pyramid schemes, and, a fortiori, in e-mail pyramid schemes.

Thursday 8 March 2007

acta est fabula plaudite

"Of course something happened," she said. "You know what it was. The man I thought was my husband was actually committing bigamy. I was simply a bigamous wife.
"My husband, or the man I thought was my husband, found out that Gwynn was making a call at this other address, and, of course, assumed that Gwynn would find out about his bigamy and tell me. He determined to kill her in order to keep her from talking. He fixed up a drink of gin and tonic and added strychnine. I didn't realize this until Gwynn had left the house and after he had left the house and I found the bottle of strychnine tablets where he had left it after removing it from the medicine chest. I had thought Gwynn poured the drink down the washbowl. At the time, I thought merely that my husband had made it too strong.
"When Gwynn returned that evening and had a gun with her, I felt that the time had come for a show down. I tried to make her tell me, but she wouldn't. I could see she was lying. I put barbiturates in Gwynn's milk toast and, when she was safely as sleep, I took the gun and went out to find my husband."

(Nell Arlington, from Erle Stanley Gardner "Perry Mason solves the case of the Bigamous Spouse)

Maria Antonia Josefa Johanna von Habsburg-Lothringen

quid nunc

My photo
my birth was a product of tourism and diplomacy.